Does Heating Up Mold Really Kill It?

When it comes to mold, many people wonder if heating up the affected area can really kill it. The answer is yes, extreme temperatures, whether hot or cold, can kill most mold spores. However, it's important to note that this doesn't get rid of the mold. A heater can reduce the presence of mold in a home by increasing the temperature and reducing humidity, which is a major factor in mold growth.

While a central heater emits enough heat to lower the average humidity throughout the house, it doesn't eliminate mold directly. If you place items on a baking tray and turn on the low temperature, you can dry out most of the mold. However, some types of mold are heat resistant, so make sure you don't deal with these when using this method. When it comes to what temperature kills mold, there are no exact conclusions.

The public generally accepts that extreme heat and cold can prevent mold from growing. But when there's moisture in the air, there's no totally guaranteed way to prevent mold growth with heat alone. The best way to use temperature to control and regulate mold growth is to use an air conditioner to regulate the temperature in the house. This will help slow down mold growth and minimize any conditions that accelerate it.

If you want a completely chemical-free way or solutions to eliminate it, heat may be the best option for you. Some remediation companies claim that if you have dead mold inside your walls, it won't affect you. However, industry standards always recommend removing the mold and not simply leaving it idle. Using an air conditioner or heating system to heat the house may not directly kill mold, but it can help prevent its growth.

Opening windows can also help reduce mold by increasing ventilation and decreasing humidity levels in a room.

Cassie Ulery
Cassie Ulery

Wannabe internet aficionado. Hipster-friendly pop culture trailblazer. Certified internet aficionado. Extreme zombieaholic. Professional beeraholic. Total beer aficionado.