Is Mold Making You Sick? How to Tell and What to Do

Mold allergy can cause the same signs and symptoms as other types of upper respiratory allergies: sneezing, runny or stuffy nose, coughing, itchy eyes, nose and throat, dry, scaly skin. It can be difficult to determine if exposure to mold is making you sick. In some cases, mold can definitely make you sick, especially if you have allergies or asthma. Some people have symptoms such as constant migraines, headaches, or shortness of breath, while others also experience mental confusion; some may also develop fatigue and depression.

Mold spores are everywhere and can be found in food, water, air, soil, and plants. The best way to avoid getting sick from mold is to wash your hands often and keep your house clean. If you have any questions, wait until the day and see if any symptoms appear. If not, you're probably fine.

If you end up getting sick from eating bad bread, it will happen in a few hours. Moldy bread can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and other symptoms. Molds are very common in buildings and homes. Mold will grow in places with high humidity, such as around leaks in roofs, windows, or pipes, or where there has been flooding. Mold grows well on paper products, cardboard, ceiling tiles and wood products.

Mold can also grow on dust, paints, wallpaper, insulation, drywall, carpets, fabric, and upholstery. If you suspect that you have mold in your home, contact a professional who can inspect your home for signs of mold growth. Other materials such as dust, paints, wallpaper, insulation materials, drywall carpets fabric and upholstery tend to promote mold growth. In 2004 the Institute of Medicine (IOM) found that there was sufficient evidence to link indoor mold exposure with upper respiratory symptoms coughing and wheezing in otherwise healthy people; with asthma symptoms in people with asthma; and with hypersensitivity pneumonitis in people susceptible to that immune-mediated condition. If you think you are sick due to exposure to mold in a building you should consult your doctor to determine the appropriate steps to take. And in some cases indoor mold can make you sick especially if you have allergies or other respiratory problems. When mold enters your home through vents ducts floors or furniture it becomes a cause for concern. Inspect buildings for evidence of water damage and visible mold as part of routine building maintenance.

If you have a lot of mold and don't think you can do the cleaning on your own you can contact a professional who has experience cleaning mold in buildings and homes. If you find mold growing in your home you should immediately contact a professional who can remove it. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) any visible mold that grows inside the house is a potential health hazard and should be eliminated as soon as possible. There has been no evidence of a relationship between other adverse health effects such as acute idiopathic pulmonary hemorrhage in infants memory loss or lethargy and mold including Stachybotrys chartarum mold.

Cassie Ulery
Cassie Ulery

Wannabe internet aficionado. Hipster-friendly pop culture trailblazer. Certified internet aficionado. Extreme zombieaholic. Professional beeraholic. Total beer aficionado.