How much mold is too much in a house?

There is no general guideline for the degree of damage that exposure to mold can cause. The effects of exposure to mold manifest themselves differently in each person. For people who have asthma, are allergic to mold, or have a weakened immune system, just a small amount of exposure can be harmful. A small amount of mold is not a problem.

However, too much mold can be especially harmful. There are 10,000 mold spores in the space the size of a pen. I'll let that settle for a moment. If you have a mold allergy, you may experience significant breathing difficulty when you come into contact with mold.

Molds aren't usually a problem indoors, unless the mold spores land in a wet or humid place and start to grow. The use of a chemical or biocidal product that destroys organisms such as mold (chlorine bleach, for example) is not recommended as a routine practice when cleaning mold. Investigating the hidden problems of mold can be difficult and will require caution when the research involves disturbing potential mold growth sites. Some of the most common varieties of indoor mold are Aspergillus, Cladosporium and Stachybotrys atra, which is also known as black mold.

For example, removing wallpaper can cause a massive release of spores if mold grows on the underside of the paper. Mold sampling should be performed by professionals with specific experience in designing mold sampling protocols, sampling methods, and interpreting the results. In that case, you should seek the help of a professional mold removal service as soon as possible.

Cassie Ulery
Cassie Ulery

Wannabe internet aficionado. Hipster-friendly pop culture trailblazer. Certified internet aficionado. Extreme zombieaholic. Professional beeraholic. Total beer aficionado.