Mold is a common problem in many homes and businesses, and it can be difficult to get rid of. Professional mold removal companies have the tools and expertise to effectively eliminate mold, but what do they use? In this article, we'll discuss the most popular tools used by professionals to kill mold. A popular chemical for killing mold is Concrobium Mold Control, which can be purchased at larger hardware stores. It is used by both professionals and homeowners, and has been found to be effective.
Hydrogen peroxide-based mold removers are also very effective. Professionals typically have more wind turbines depending on the size of the area they are working in. Having more of them allows them to choose which one they will go out to the field with, since they can easily take some everywhere. Air motors help dry the room before mold has a chance to grow in a new, more humid environment.
Dehumidifiers are also essential for killing mold. They help cool the air, thus eliminating excess moisture that allows mold to grow. The three most common types of dehumidifiers are mechanical, electronic, or absorption dehumidifiers. There are many types of dehumidifiers on sale, but only high-quality professionals can reduce humidity levels to 40%, which is in the desired range of 30 to 50%.
Air cleaners with a HEPA filter are also used by professionals to remove any type of mold particles from the air. While the two previous tools focus on removing excess moisture from the air, air scrubbers remove contaminants. Mold releases spores that are everywhere around us, and when they land in damp areas, they can turn into mold, especially when humidity levels exceed 50%. Professional air cleaners use high-efficiency particulate air filters (HEPA) to trap different contaminants, including mold.
Some air cleaners have two filters: the first for larger particles and the second HEPA filter. In this way, larger particles will be trapped in the first filter and the HEPA filter will fulfill its original purpose of trapping smaller particles. Most modern dehumidifiers have an indicator light that alerts you when the filter needs to be changed, making it even easier. Professional air cleaners guarantee that they will trap and remove even the smallest contaminants. Moisture meters are also used by professionals to measure moisture levels in an area.
There are two types of moisture meters: with or without a plug. Once you're sure that moisture isn't an issue, use cleaning products to get rid of any remaining mold by cleaning and disinfecting the area. The mold inhibitor we recommend to DIY homeowners is ZEP. This product is made with bushings and is the chitosan that is extracted, which is a natural invisible antimicrobial barrier.
Vinegar can be used to kill mold on both non-porous and porous surfaces. Compared to bleach, it can more easily penetrate porous materials such as wood to kill mold that grows below the surface. Using soap and water with a sponge or stiff brush, scrub off all visible traces of mold before using a disinfectant to kill residual mold and mold spores. In a study that tested the effects of several anti-mould agents, hydrogen peroxide was found to be moderately effective in eliminating mold on non-porous surfaces, although with less power than bleach. At a pH level higher than 9, borax creates an unfavorable, high-alkalinity environment that kills mold and prevents it from growing again.
The active ingredient in bleach, sodium hypochlorite, reacts with water to form hypochlorous acid, which kills mold by denaturing proteins, inactivating enzymes, altering nucleic acids and destroying other cellular components. Mold remediation specialists have a lot of experience and professional equipment that will completely eliminate mold. While ammonia can kill surface mold, dead mold and dead mold spores are still allergenic, so you should also make sure to eliminate them. It's always best to hire a professional mold removal company when you see mold; however, if the mold in your home is non-toxic and the area where the mold grows is small (less than 10 square feet or the equivalent of approximately a 3 by 3 foot area), you can try to get rid of the mold on your own. Hydrogen peroxide is a good alternative to using bleach to kill mold because it's safe and doesn't harm the environment, and it doesn't leave toxic residues or produce toxic fumes like bleach does. Porous materials (such as wood and drywall), which absorb moisture and allow mold to penetrate below the surface, are not as effective at killing mold.
While these types of products can be effective in killing mold, they are only effective when the first signs of mold growth are recognized and its development is prevented. Personal protective equipment (PPE) is mandatory for any type of professional work with mold as it protects them from possible toxic fungi. Baking soda and vinegar are generally used together when dealing with a mold problem as they kill different species of molds. Bleach kills virtually every species of indoor molds it comes into contact with including spores which leave a disinfected surface making it resistant to future growth. Mold is considered a biohazard when it is larger than 10 square feet and will require professional remediation as large amounts of molds can cause health problems for anyone even if they are not sensitive to molds.