Mold is a common problem in many homes, and it can cause a range of health issues. From respiratory symptoms like wheezing and coughing to skin irritation, mold can have a serious impact on your health. In this article, we'll discuss what mold toxicity feels like, the symptoms of mold exposure, and how to treat it. Mold spores can enter your home on your shoes or clothes or through open windows or doors.
If these spores find a warm, humid environment, they can begin to multiply. Soon, your home will be filled with toxic mold. If you think mold has invaded your home, look for several symptoms of mold exposure. Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores can cause a person to become allergic to mold.
Mold can cause asthma symptoms, such as shortness of breath, wheezing, or coughing in people with known allergies. People who don't have allergies can also get irritated. Studies indicate that exposure to mold in the workplace can worsen pre-existing asthma. Most mold treatment companies will recommend demolishing the infected part of the house to literally get rid of mold, so keep in mind that you could have additional expenses to restore part of your home.
So, let's discuss what mold toxicity actually means and how Parsley Health takes a holistic, science-based approach to treating the symptoms of mold toxicity. If the problem is more than minor, DIY methods will likely only eliminate the appearance of mold for a short period of time. The time it takes for mold to leave the body will depend on the previous level of exposure. When you're exposed to too much mold, mold that you're sensitive to, or certain types of mold that are known to cause health problems, you can cause a condition called mold toxicity. One thing most doctors will recommend that you do is perform tests to detect and, if necessary, eliminate any harmful health conditions that have mold in your home.
However, sometimes you can't see the mold and it's not clear if it's exposure to mold that has made you sick or not. When you finish cleaning moldy areas, wash your clothes immediately and take a shower to prevent mold spores from spreading throughout the house. As mold spores flood the body, systemic inflammation can occur, causing swelling and weight gain as the digestive system is affected by exposure to toxic mold. If your health is a priority, you should know the symptoms of exposure to mold so you can act quickly and protect yourself and your family. People with chronic respiratory disease may develop symptoms of mold poisoning after inhaling just a small amount of mold spores. All varieties of mold at certain levels can cause allergic reactions and be potentially hazardous to health.
As soon as you notice the first traces of mold, use a mixture of bleach and water to clean the area and destroy mold spores. The most direct way to assess mold toxicity is through a urinalysis that measures mold metabolites and mycotoxins, as well as glutathione levels (which may decrease when exposed to mold). In addition to reducing exposure to mold, your doctor may recommend over-the-counter (OTC) allergy medications. It's important to note that while these treatments may help reduce symptoms in the short term, they won't address the underlying issue: exposure to mold. To truly get rid of mold, you'll need to identify and eliminate any sources of moisture in your home that are allowing mold growth. This could include fixing leaky pipes or windowsills or using dehumidifiers in damp areas. If you think you may have been exposed to mold, it's important to seek medical attention right away.
Your doctor can help diagnose any underlying health issues related to mold, as well as provide treatment options for reducing symptoms. By understanding what mold toxicity feels like and taking steps to reduce your exposure, you can protect yourself and your family from its potentially harmful effects.