Mold can be a serious problem in any home, and it's important to take action quickly to get rid of it. Fortunately, there are a few simple steps you can take to get rid of mold instantly. Hydrogen peroxide is one of the most effective ways to kill mold spores when they come into contact, as it breaks down proteins and DNA. It can be used on both porous and non-porous surfaces.
Ionized hydrogen peroxide can also be used to kill mold spores in the air, but requires the use of a special fogging machine. Cleaning vinegar, which contains 6% acetic acid, is the best type for killing mold. White vinegar with 5% acidity will also work well. Distilled white vinegar can be safely used on most porous and non-porous surfaces.
Pour undiluted white vinegar into a spray bottle and spray onto the moldy surface. Let it work for one hour and then use hydrogen peroxide or a bleaching solution with dilute chlorine to remove any remaining discoloration. Dish soap can also be used to help separate mold and mold spores from surfaces, making them easier to remove. The Department of Environmental Protection recommends professional removal of mold colonies that cover more than 10 square feet (approximately a 3-foot by 3-foot patch).
Ammonia is an alkaline substance with pH levels between 11 and 13, significantly higher than what most molds can tolerate, and can be used to kill mold on hard, non-porous surfaces such as countertops, glass, or tiles. Common household chlorine bleach, also called sodium hypochlorite, will eliminate mold and any discoloration it causes on surfaces. It is more effective at removing mold from hard, non-porous surfaces than porous materials such as wood and drywall. If you have a serious mold problem (more than 10 square feet) it is best to call in professionals for help.