When Should I Worry About Mold Exposure?

Mold spores are everywhere, even in your home, and can grow on any surface that has enough moisture. Exposure to a large number of mold spores can cause allergic symptoms, such as watery eyes, runny nose, sneezing, itching, coughing, wheezing, difficulty breathing, headache, and fatigue. Repeated exposure to mold can increase a person's sensitivity and cause more serious allergic reactions. Some people are sensitive to mold and for these people, exposure to mold can cause symptoms such as nasal congestion, wheezing, and redness or itching of the eyes or skin.

Some people, such as those with mold allergies or asthma, may have more intense reactions. Serious reactions can occur among workers exposed to large amounts of mold in work environments, such as farmers who work around moldy hay. Serious reactions may include fever and shortness of breath. Mold can cause health problems in some people, but not affect others. Symptoms of mold exposure include allergic reactions and difficulty breathing.

Children and people with weakened immune systems may be particularly vulnerable to mold. If you're allergic to mold, your immune system overreacts when you inhale mold spores. Mold allergy can cause coughing, itchy eyes, and other symptoms that make you feel miserable. In some people, mold allergy is related to asthma, and exposure causes respiratory restrictions and other airway symptoms. There are very few reports that toxigenic molds found inside homes can cause unique or rare health conditions, such as pulmonary bleeding or memory loss.

If you think you are sick due to exposure to mold in a building, you should consult your doctor to determine the appropriate steps to take. Any workplace that contains a lot of old paper products, such as second-hand bookstores, can be a source of mold. A person may also consider contacting a professional if there is extensive mold growth in the home or if a person has allergic reactions when cleaning moldy surfaces. The most common allergy-causing molds are alternaria, aspergillus, cladosporium and penicillium. Mold that grows on hard surfaces can be removed with commercial products, soap and water, or with a bleach solution of no more than 1 cup (8 ounces) of bleach in 1 gallon of water to remove mold from surfaces.

We look at the health effects of the common Cladosporium mold, the associated symptoms it can cause and some tips to eliminate it. Inspect buildings for evidence of water damage and visible mold as part of routine building maintenance. If you have mold allergies and asthma, asthma symptoms can be triggered by exposure to mold spores. For people with healthy immune systems, mold infections (a type of yeast infection) aren't a problem. Rarely, mold allergies can cause more serious reactions, including hypersensitivity pneumonitis. A previous study found that infants and toddlers exposed to mold in the home were at greater risk of developing asthma at age 7.Serious infections caused by mold are relatively rare and occur mainly in people with severely weakened immune systems. It is important to be aware of the potential health risks associated with mold exposure.

If you have any concerns about your health due to possible mold exposure, it is important to consult your doctor for advice on how best to protect yourself from any potential health risks.

Cassie Ulery
Cassie Ulery

Wannabe internet aficionado. Hipster-friendly pop culture trailblazer. Certified internet aficionado. Extreme zombieaholic. Professional beeraholic. Total beer aficionado.